Monday, June 11, 2012

It's About Time

For this project we had to replicate the form of a toy animal figurine.  My  animal was a lion. 
After carving these forms twice we were given the task of adding something to one of our carvings 4 times. Then after this we had to subtract from the carving 4 times as well.

For my first subtractive action I decided to drop my carving. as an effect my lion replica lost both of his legs. 
Next I preformed my first additive act, a peg-leg. I created this peg-leg for my lion out of a toothpick.  
I decided for my second additive act I was going to give my lion a little character and draw on him.
My lion seemed fairly docile so I decided to give him a color which I crafted out of a twist-tie.
For my final additive act I gave my lion a stogy. I thought this would make him seem more like a dignified
king of the jungle.
For my second act of subtraction I put my lion in the microwave. But first before doing so I took off his  color so as to not blow up my apartment. After only being in the microwave for a few seconds the soap form started to expand and foam up. Then After about 7 seconds I took out my carving. As soon as I opened the door to the microwave the soap form started to compress and shrink in size leaving a light fluffy mass that resembled clouds. 
Next I boiled a pot of water then pulled the pot off the burner and once the  right temperature was acquired then I dropped my soap carving in. As a result not much happened other than it shrank a little more and broke apart.
As my last and final subtractive act I took a lighter to my lion. Not much of a reaction took place once the flame was introduced. The soap turned a light brown tint from where the flame made contact and the stogy got a little burnt.


Lick and Lather :  I enjoyed learning about this piece of art by
Janine Antoni. It was definitely an interesting concept of casting different molds of herself and casting them in a useful material. Then putting them to practical use and seeing how they took different forms/ changed as a result of their being used ie licking or scrubbing with the sculpture.  I enjoyed learning about this because I had never until now thought about casting in chocolate or soap then actually using them . 

No comments:

Post a Comment